Dental crowns are restorations that can protect your damaged, cracked, or worn down teeth. Not only do dental crowns restore the security and function of your natural teeth, but they can also rebuild their appealing aesthetic.
What is a Dental Crown?
A crown is a tooth-shaped restoration that provides a damaged tooth with full coverage protection. Crowns are also commonly called “caps” because they cover the entire portion of the existing tooth.
Dental crowns are required when the strength of a tooth is compromised. Dr. Thompson has been placing dental crowns for years, and she will ensure that your crowns match the color and shape of your natural teeth.
Why Might I Need a Crown?
Dr. Thompson may recommend a dental crown if:
- Your tooth is decayed and does not have enough remaining structure to support a filling or inlay
- A portion of the tooth is severely fractured or broken
- You have a dental implant to replace a missing tooth root and require a dental crown to replace the missing tooth
- You have undergone root canal treatment and need a crown to strengthen the affected tooth
- You grind your teeth so they have become weak and worn down
- A tooth is discolored, misshapen, or otherwise different from your other teeth
Our labs create beautiful custom dental crowns made from porcelain or metals. When you take good care of your dental crowns, they will last for many years. Continue to brush and floss daily and visit our office once every six months.
Advantages of Dental Crowns
Crowns are a fantastic cosmetic and restorative option that dentists have trusted for a long time. Some of the advantages of crowns include:
- They are natural in appearance
- They require only two appointments with your dentist
- They last for 10 years or more when well maintained
- They improve your appearance and confidence
- They reverse bite issues, speech problems, and other complications
- They protect the teeth from further damage
To learn more about dental crowns, contact us at Dream Dentist today.